Gaming has evolved to become an integral part of modern entertainment, and so has the desire for more versatility in how we play our favorite games. One common wish among gamers is to use their preferred controller across different gaming systems. If you’re among those who’ve invested in a PlayStation 5 (PS5) controller but find yourself yearning to navigate the realms of the Xbox Series X or S, you may wonder if this is even possible. Fear not, we’re here to explore various ways to bridge this gap and make your PS5 controller work with your Xbox console.
Several adapters on the market are specifically designed to make controllers compatible with other consoles. One popular example is the CronusMax Plus. Such adapters act as translators, allowing you to use your PS5 controller with an Xbox Series X or S.
- Purchase a console adapter compatible with both PS5 controllers and Xbox Series X/S.
- Follow the instructions provided with your adapter to connect it to your Xbox. This typically involves plugging the adapter into the console’s USB port.
- With the adapter connected, pair your PS5 controller by holding the Share and PS button until the controller’s light bar begins to flash.
- Once the light bar is flashing, the adapter should recognize the controller. Follow any additional steps provided by the adapter manufacturer to complete the setup.
While using an adapter provides a way to use your PS5 controller with your Xbox, it may introduce a small amount of input lag and sometimes require firmware updates to ensure continued compatibility.
ReWASD is a powerful mapping software that allows you to remap controller buttons. While it is primarily used for PC, some users have found ways to use it to connect a PS5 controller to an Xbox console through a PC.
- Download and install ReWASD on your PC.
- Connect your PS5 controller to the PC via USB or Bluetooth.
- Open ReWASD and create a new profile for your PS5 controller, remapping its buttons to mimic the layout of an Xbox controller.
- Connect your Xbox Series X/S to the PC using an HDMI capture card and streaming software.
- Stream your Xbox gameplay to your PC and play using the PS5 controller mapped with ReWASD.
While this method lets you use your PS5 controller’s features such as gyro aiming and adaptive triggers, it requires a PC with adequate processing power and may have noticeable latency, which is not ideal for time-sensitive games.
The Xbox Remote Play feature allows you to stream your Xbox games to a compatible device, like a smartphone, where you can then use a PS5 controller to play.
- Install the Xbox app on a compatible device like an Android or iOS smartphone or tablet.
- Set up Xbox Remote Play on your Xbox Series X/S, enabling the streaming option.
- Pair your PS5 controller to your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth.
- Open the Xbox app on your device and connect to your Xbox Series X/S to start streaming your games.
- Play Xbox games using the PS5 controller connected to your device.
This method is convenient and enables you to play your Xbox games on various devices, though the gameplay experience and responsiveness can be affected by the quality of your internet connection.
For those who are handy with electronics, it’s possible to rewire the PS5 controller internally to mimic the wiring of an Xbox controller, although this is a highly technical and risky method.
- Purchase the necessary electronic components such as a circuit board compatible with Xbox controllers.
- Carefully open the PS5 controller and remove its original circuit board.
- Install the new circuit board designed for Xbox compatibility, rewiring the connections to fit the PS5 controller’s buttons and joysticks.
- Reassemble the PS5 controller and test it with your Xbox Series X/S.
This method is only recommended for those with advanced knowledge in electronics. It can permanently alter or damage your PS5 controller and void any warranties.
Some third-party controllers are specifically designed to work across multiple platforms, including both PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. While not a direct solution to using an official PS5 controller, it’s a viable alternative.
- Research and purchase a third-party cross-platform controller that has compatibility with both PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to connect the controller to your Xbox Series X/S.
Third-party controllers offer a hassle-free solution but may not replicate the exact feel or feature set of the official PS5 controller.